CNN anchor Chris Wallace’s new gig revealed after CNN+ collapse

CNN anchor Chris Wallace’s new gig revealed after CNN+ collapse

CNN’s Chris Wallace has reportedly landed a new gig on the left-leaning network – weeks after the implosion of the company’s doomed CNN+ streaming service left the Fox News alum unsure of his future.

The veteran news anchor will host a prime-time show as part of CNN’s Sunday night lineup starting this fall, the network announced Wednesday during the initial Warner Bros. presentation. Discovery.

Along with its weekly spot on CNN’s prime-time lineup, Wallace’s show will also air on the HBO Max streaming service. The interview-centric program will retain the same name – “Who Talks to Chris Wallace?” — which he used on CNN+ before his collapse.

“‘Who’s talking?’ is a rare, made-for-streaming show that gives journalists the opportunity to have candid conversations and open dialogue about the issues of the day and all that matters to them,” Wallace said in a statement. “I have never had so much fun developing a program and can’t wait to bring it to both HBO Max and CNN audiences.”

Chris Wallace and AndersonCooper
CNN+ collapsed just a month after its launch.
Getty ImagesCNN+

“Part of the CNN brand is respectful, authentic and impactful interviews and one of the best interviewers in the business is Chris Wallace,” CNN Worldwide CEO Chris Licht added in a statement. “Chris and his team have developed an engaging and compelling program that we are thrilled to bring to HBO Max and include in our Sunday night lineup on CNN.”

After a nearly two-decade stint at Fox News, Wallace signed with CNN in December to become one of the headliners of the network’s high-profile streaming service. CNN+ debuted earlier this year to great internal fanfare, but ceased operations after about a month of programming following dismal results.

Chris Wallace
Chris Wallace’s show will air on HBO Max and CNN.
Getty ImagesCNN+

About 300 junior CNN+ employees have been laid off as part of cost-cutting measures. Asked about the situation at an event last month, Wallace said he was “doing well” but expressed some uncertainty about his own future – saying he was in “good shape whether it was at CNN or elsewhere.

“Frankly, what concerns me the most right now — and very — is my team and hundreds of other people,” Wallace said at the time.

As The Post previously reported, some insiders felt CNN had “spent too much on talent” on CNN+ — including Wallace’s $9 million-a-year contract.

CNN
CNN is making major changes under Warner Bros. Discovery.
Getty Images

Meanwhile, executives at Warner Bros. Discovery, including CEO David Zaslav, said they plan to refocus CNN on straightforward journalism rather than opinion programming.

The change follows a series of scandals at CNN, including a legal battle with ousted former anchor Chris Cuomo and the abrupt exit of former CNN boss Jeff Zucker following his revelation of a relationship with another top. leader.

“At a time when most news networks are advocacy networks, we at CNN intend to stand up for journalism first,” Zaslav said during an initial pitch, according to Axios, which first reported on Wallace’s new role.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *