Sasha Banks and Naomi are no longer the WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions. Veteran announcer Michael Cole revealed on Friday Night SmackDown that the pair was suspended indefinitely after coming out on a live recording of Monday night gross earlier this week.
“We will have a future tournament to crown the new WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions,” Cole said on Friday’s show.
PWI first reported that Sasha had an issue with the outcome of a scheduled main event, which would have featured in a Six Pack Challenge alongside Asuka, Becky Lynch, Doudrop and Nikki ASH to determine who would face off. Bianca Belair at “Hell in a Cell.” Sasha reportedly met with CEO Vince McMahon to express her concerns, and McMahon reportedly refused to change his plans for the team, which is when she left the building with Naomi.
Becky Lynch filmed on-the-fly segments with Adam Pearce to set up the new main event featuring Lynch versus Asuka.
WWE confirmed that Naomi and Sasha met with WWE Talent Relations Manager John Laurinaitis “with their suitcases in hand, placed their Tag Team Championship belts on his desk, and walked out.”
In WWE’s official statement, the company said Sasha and Naomi felt they “were not respected enough as Tag Team Champions” and “were uncomfortable in the ring with two of their opponents. “, adding: “Monday night gross is a scripted, live-action television show, whose characters are expected to perform the demands of their contract.
Sasha and Naomi have not yet released their own statements.