Bill Cosby’s sexual assault trial to begin this week in Los Angeles

Bill Cosby’s sexual assault trial to begin this week in Los Angeles

Bill Cosby faces another trial starting this week in Los Angeles on charges of sexually assaulting a teenage girl in the 1970s.

Jury selection in the civil case is expected to begin Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court and could last up to a week, a representative for Cosby told the Post on Sunday.

The fallen comedian, 85 and legally blind, will not be in court for the proceedings, the spokesperson said.

Opening arguments are expected to begin on June 1, and the trial itself is expected to last around seven days.

The legal battle comes less than a year after Cosby was freed from prison when Pennsylvania’s highest court overturned his 2004 drug and assault conviction of Andrea Constand.

In the LA case, Cosby is accused of sexually assaulting Judy Huth at the Playboy mansion in 1975 when she was 16 or 17 years old.

Huth previously said the alleged incident happened in 1974 and Cosby’s team unsuccessfully tried to have the lawsuit dismissed after revising the timeline of his allegations.

In this file photo taken on September 24, 2018, American actor Bill Cosby arrives at court in Norristown, Pennsylvania to face a conviction for sexual assault.
Bill Cosby will not attend his trial for sexually assaulting a teenager in the 1970s.
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images

Although Judge David Karlan did not dismiss the lawsuit, he ruled last week that Cosby’s attorney, Jennifer Bonjean, could re-submit Huth and her friend, Donna Samuelson.

Samuelson was deposed Friday and Huth will be deposed Monday evening, Cosby spokesman and crisis communicator Andrew Wyatt told The Post.

‘This is a trial by murder of Mr. Cosby’s legacy and livelihood,’ the spokesperson said, adding that Cosby denies the allegations and believes he will be ‘vindicated’ at trial. .

In this Dec. 5, 2014, file photo, Judy Huth appears at a news conference outside the Los Angeles Police Department's Wilshire Division station in Los Angeles about her lawsuit against Bill Cosby.
Judy Huth alleges Cosby assaulted her at the Playboy mansion in 1975 when she was 16 or 17.
AP/Anthony McCartney

Huth’s lawsuit, which was filed in 2014 but repeatedly delayed, claims she and Samuelson met Cosby while he was shooting a movie at Lacy Park in Los Angeles.

The women, who were underage at the time, said Cosby asked them how old they were when they first met, and a few days later invited them to the mansion, warning them to pretend to be 19 if they were asked their age.

Huth claims Cosby sexually assaulted her at the mansion by “putting his hand down her pants, then taking her hand and engaging in a sexual act without consent,” according to the initial complaint.

Bill Cosby with Judy Huth in 1974.
Huth claims Cosby sexually assaulted her in 1975, after the two met while shooting a movie at Lacy Park in Los Angeles.

“We deny, of course, that Mr. Cosby did anything at the Playboy mansion that would constitute a sex battery,” Bonjean said last week.

John West, one of Huth’s attorneys, argued his client’s claims still fall within the statute of limitations under California’s 2019 law that allows victims to ‘look back’ and sue sexual assaults decades-old children.

The judge hearing the case previously ordered Playboy Enterprises to provide a list of employees from the mid-1970s to determine if any of them could testify about how visitor logs were kept during of those years.

The all-new 2017 Fiat 124 Spider at the 2016 Playboy Playmate of the Year announcement at the Playboy Mansion on May 11, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.
The judge ordered Playboy Enterprises to provide a list of employees from the mid-1970s to corroborate Huth’s story.
Charley Gallay/Getty Images for Playboy

Cosby claims there is no evidence that Huth was ever at the Playboy mansion.

Brass for Playboy told the judge on Tuesday that they had already given all the information they were required to provide under Huth’s subpoena for the records. The company also said it has no employees who can speak to how visitor logs were kept in the 1970s and that these logs, if they still exist, may be held by the estate of Hugh Hefner. .

Cosby, whose monumental fall from grace stunned America, had been in jail for more than two years when the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court overturned his indecent assault condition in June 2021.

Bill Cosby and Hugh Hefner at the Playboy Mansion on February 10, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California.
Cosby and Hugh Hefner at the Playboy Mansion on February 10, 2011 in Beverly Hills, California.
Earl Gibson III/WireImage

The court said a decades-old agreement with Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce Castor Jr. should have prevented Cosby from being charged with allegedly assaulting Constand.

Constand first reported the alleged encounter in 2005 to Castor, who did not press charges in the case.

Constand then sued Cosby in civil court, and the case was settled for an undisclosed sum.

During the civil case, Castor and Cosby’s teams admitted to having made a backstage verbal agreement for the actor to give a deposition on Constand’s allegations – and Cosby would never be charged in return.

Disgraced actor Bill Cosby makes an appearance outside his home after his release from prison.
Cosby spent two years in prison for drugging and sexually assaulting another woman in 2004.
Stephane Yang

Cosby had admitted in the deposition that he drugged Constand before performing a sex act on him, although he said it was consensual. This testimony was later used, in part, to help convict him.

“I think Judy’s trial could be our last stand for justice and seeing accountability come to fruition in our position against Bill Cosby,” Cosby’s accuser, Victoria Valentino, told The New York Times.

The Santa Monica courtroom jury will have the final say.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.