Star Wars co-stars back Moses Ingram after racist comments

Star Wars co-stars back Moses Ingram after racist comments

Placeholder while loading article actions

The Star Wars film franchise, its cast and fans express their support for actor Moses Ingram, who said he was the target of a wave of racist abuse online for his role in the new series “Obi-Wan Kenobi”.

As Ingram debuted as the character of Reva Sevander – one of Darth Vader’s Inquisitors tasked with hunting down the Jedi – during the highly anticipated Disney Plus show on Friday, the star described a torrent of threatening and racist messages on Instagram. One said her “days are numbered”. Another called her ‘recruited for diversity’. Other messages used the n-word.

Moses Ingram’s Relentless Journey from West Baltimore to Hollywood

Ewan McGregor has become the latest co-star to express his support, saying he was “sickened” by the way Ingram was treated and calling the messages “horrible”. He called Ingram – who also starred in ‘The Queen’s Gambit’, one of Netflix’s highest-rated programs of all time – a “brilliant actor”.

“I just want to say as the lead actor of the show, as the executive producer of the show, we stand with Moses,” he said in a video posted to the Star Wars Twitter account. which has since been viewed by more than 5 million people. time.

“We love Moses, and if you send him bullying messages, you’re not a Star Wars fan in my mind,” he said.

McGregor’s support came after the Star Wars franchise addressed those who harassed the star. “We are proud to welcome Moses Ingram to the Star Wars family,” the franchise tweeted on Tuesday, adding that the producers were “excited for Reva’s story to unfold.”

“If anyone is going to make her feel unwelcome, we have only one thing to say: we resist,” the tweet read.

Ingram took to her Instagram Stories to describe the abuse last week, saying she believed “there is nothing anyone can do to stop this hate” and that the comments were fueling doubt. “I question my very purpose of being here in front of you saying this is happening,” she said in the video, which is no longer viewable as Instagram Stories expire after 24 hours.

“I think what bothers me is this feeling that I had inside of me – that no one told me – but this feeling that I just have to shut up and take it. That I have to just smile and put up with it. And I’m not built like that,” Ingram said, thanking her fans for supporting her.

On social networks, many have used the hashtag #WeLoveYouMosesIngram to share their admiration for the 29-year-old, whom they called “talented” and “an icon.”

Star Wars, which has long struggled with issues of race and gender, has pledged to increase the diversity of its cast amid the backlash.

Black British actors John Boyega and Thandiwe Newton and Mexican Kenyan actor Lupita Nyong’o have all entered the Star Wars universe in recent years. Kelly Marie Tran, who became the first Asian American actress to land a major role in Star Wars, says she too was targeted by social media trolls and deleted all of her Instagram posts in 2018. suggesting that the abuse she faced online was the catalyst.

Kelly Marie Tran has deleted her Instagram posts. Is it related to the harassment of Star Wars actresses?

Addressing the move in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter last year, Tran said she decided the internet was “not good for my mental health. I will obviously leave that.

And Boyega, who told GQ magazine he received death threats while playing former stormtrooper Finn, gave an impassioned speech in front of thousands at a huge Black Lives Matter protest in Hyde Park in London in 2020 following the death of George Floyd.

“I need you to understand how painful it is to be reminded every day that your race means nothing,” the actor said before telling the crowds around him, “I don’t know if I will. have a career after that.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.