Dustin Johnson resigns from PGA Tour to play in LIV Golf series, as Phil Mickelson returns to golf to play in event

Dustin Johnson resigns from PGA Tour to play in LIV Golf series, as Phil Mickelson returns to golf to play in event

He was quoted in a 2021 interview with author Alan Shipnuck for his upcoming book, “Phil: The Rip-Roaring (and Unauthorized!) Biography of Golf’s Most Colorful Superstar”, saying he would consider joining the Super League proposed because it is a “unique opportunity to reshape the way the PGA Tour works”.

Shipnuck quoted Mickelson saying disparaging things about Saudi Arabia’s human rights record and saying the kingdom killed journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Mickelson said in February he would step away from golf “time” after being criticized for his comments.

Mickelson tweeted a statement on Monday, “Excited to start with LIV Golf and appreciate everyone involved. I also intend to play the majors.”

Greg Norman, CEO of LIV Golf, said Monday: “(Mickelson) reinforces an exciting area for London where we are proud to launch a new era for golf. Our qualification for the international series has earned an incredible opportunity to participate in LIV The new format of golf, and I can’t wait to see them all playing golf…”

Mickelson apologized in Monday’s statement saying “I again want to apologize to the many people I offended and hurt with my comments a few months ago. I made mistakes in my career in some of the things I have said and done…I have been committed and intentional in pursuing therapy and feel healthy and much more at peace I realize I still have a long way to go , but I embrace the work ahead of me.

CNN has reached out to LIV Golf to find out how much money Mickelson will earn for his participation.

Johnson leaves the PGA Tour

Meanwhile, Johnson announced he had resigned from the PGA Tour to compete in the LIV Golf event.

He is expected to play with 2017 Masters winner Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, two-time major winner Martin Kaymer and Kevin Na, among others.

“It’s hard to say what the consequences might be, but I’ve resigned my Tour membership and that’s the plan for now,” he told a press conference at the Centurion Club. , near London, the venue for the first Saudi round. -sustained event which begins on Thursday.

The 37-year-old American will no longer be eligible for the Ryder Cup but remains optimistic about his participation in future events of the biennial competition against Europe, having been on the winning side twice in five appearances.

“The Ryder Cup is amazing and has meant a lot to me, but I finally decided it was best for me and my family,” he said.

“All things are subject to change and hopefully at some point that will change and I will have the chance to do it again,” he added.

Johnson is the second golfer to resign from the PGA Tour in order to play in the controversial breakaway, after American Na announced his decision last week.

CNN has contacted the PGA Tour to comment on Johnson’s resignation.

Last week, the PGA Tour threatened “disciplinary action” against PGA Tour golfers who play in the new Saudi-backed series.

In a Washington Post article published on Sunday, Norman admitted that Tiger Woods had been offered a huge amount of money to be part of the upstart series, but turned it down. Norman said the proposal to Woods was “unbelievably huge; we’re talking high nine figures.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.