fbpx
Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey, 62, will appear in a British court on Thursday for four sexual assaults

Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey, 62, will appear in a British court on Thursday for four sexual assaults

Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey, 62, will appear in a British court on Thursday for four sexual assaults against three men in London and Gloucestershire.

  • The Oscar-winning actor will be charged with four counts of sexual assault
  • He is also accused of having had penetrative sex without consent
  • Spacey will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London on Thursday
  • In a statement last month, he said he was “confident” to prove his innocence

Kevin Spacey will appear in court on Thursday on four counts of sexual assault against three men in London and Gloucestershire.

The 62-year-old Oscar winner is charged with four counts of sexual assault against three men between 2005 and 2013.

Spacey is also charged with a single count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent against one of the same three men after the Metropolitan Police opened a criminal investigation in 2017.

The offenses allegedly took place while he was artistic director of the Old Vic theater in London.

He will be charged with the offenses at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

The Crown Prosecution Service authorized charges against him last month, but Spacey could not be charged until he traveled to the UK.

British prosecutors had suggested they would try to extradite the actor from the United States, but he will appear in court voluntarily.

In a statement released to Good Morning America after the Crown Prosecution Service announcement last month, Spacey said he was “confident” he would prove his innocence.

The 62-year-old Oscar-winning actor is charged with four counts of sexual assault against three men between 2005 and 2013

The 62-year-old Oscar-winning actor is charged with four counts of sexual assault against three men between 2005 and 2013

Spacey pictured leaving New York court last month after testifying in a civil trial

Spacey pictured leaving New York court last month after testifying in a civil trial

Kevin Spacey outside the Old Vic theater in London, where he was artistic director for 11 years.  The alleged sexual assaults allegedly took place during this period

Kevin Spacey outside the Old Vic theater in London, where he was artistic director for 11 years. The alleged sexual assaults allegedly took place during this period

The statement added: ‘I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service’s statement in which they have carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair and innocent trial until proven guilty.’

“Although I am disappointed with their decision to go ahead, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as possible and defend myself against these charges, which I am sure will prove my innocence.”

The Crown Prosecution Service said last month that a man, now in his 40s, claims he was sexually assaulted by Spacey twice in March 2005.

A second man, now in his 30s, claims that in August 2008 he was sexually assaulted and then coerced into performing a sex act against his will. All of these alleged incidents took place in London.

The third complainant, now in his 30s, claims he was sexually assaulted in April 2013 in Gloucestershire.

A Met spokesperson said today: ‘A man has been charged following an investigation by the Met into allegations of non-recent sexual offences.

“Kevin Spacey Fowler, 62, was formally charged today with four counts of sexual assault against three men.

“He was also charged with causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without their consent.

“He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court at 10 a.m. on Thursday June 16.

“The charges follow a review by the Crown of evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in their investigation.”

Spacey, the star of some of Hollywood’s biggest hits of the past three decades as well as TV shows such as House of Cards, was artistic director of the Old Vic Theater in London between 2004 and 2015.

He won two Oscars. The first was in 1995 for Best Supporting Actor in The Usual Suspects for his role as gangster Keyser Söze.

In 1999, he won the Best Actor gong for his role in American Beauty, where he played Lester Burnham, an advertising executive who has a midlife crisis and becomes infatuated with his teenage daughter’s best friend.

Advertising

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *