‘Lessons learned’ but no details on royal review of Meghan bullying allegations

‘Lessons learned’ but no details on royal review of Meghan bullying allegations

LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) – Buckingham Palace says lessons have been learned following a review of allegations of bullying made by royal staff against Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, although it declined to give details of the report’s findings.

The human resources review was announced by the palace last March after the Times newspaper reported that allegations had been made against Meghan, the American wife of Queen Elizabeth’s grandson Prince Harry, including that she had reduced some of her assistants to tears and treated others so badly that they quit.

The couple released a statement in response denying that she had bullied anyone, and in an interview with Oprah Winfrey shortly afterwards accused the palace of “perpetuating lies”.

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Michael Stevens, the Queen’s Treasurer known as the Keeper of the Privy Purse, said the privately funded review, which was carried out by an independent law firm, had been set up to examine dealing with allegations and to improve practices in all areas. the royal houses.

“The review is complete and recommendations on our policies and procedures have been advanced,” Stevens told reporters. “But we will not comment further.”

The Times report said a senior assistant to Harry and Meghan filed a complaint in October 2018 alleging the Duchess had bullied some of her assistants and the prince had urged the assistant to drop the issue which then had no effect. never progressed.

The palace has ordered a review, saying it is “very concerned”, and everyone who took part, including current and former staff, has been notified of its outcome. Royal sources declined to say whether the Duchess herself was involved.

“I think the targets were met because lessons were learned,” a senior royal source said.

SPENDING OVER

Stevens was speaking as he gave details of the Queen’s annual taxpayer-funded income and expenditure report, known as the Sovereign Grant, which was released on Thursday.

It showed that official spending for 2021-22 had been around 102 million pounds ($124 million), above the 86 million allocated to the royal family’s official travel, property maintenance and running costs of the 96-year-old Queen’s household.

Since 2017, the Queen has received additional public funds to pay for a 10-year, £369million redevelopment of Buckingham Palace to replace aging and unsafe electrical wiring and boilers, and Stevens said the royal household would tap into reserves set aside in previous years to cover additional expenses.

Another blow to royal finances – which the palace says is costing every Briton £1.29 a year – has been the cut in additional money coming mainly from ticket sales to visit the royal palaces, which are falling by 50% to 10 million pounds compared to before the COVID-19 pandemic.

Overall travel costs came to just under £2.5million, with the biggest expense being Prince William and his wife Kate’s Caribbean tour, which cost £226,383.

“We are realistic that there will always be a tension between the travel required to fulfill the role of head of state and head of the nation and to meet our environmental aspirations,” Stevens said. ($1 = 0.8231 pounds)

Join now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Alex Richardson

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *